In a couple of years they have built a home sweet home...

In a couple of years they have built a home sweet home...

Saturday, October 17, 2015

Sunday, Feb 8 - The storm

So, I was feeling off this day. Major cramps. I googled, "early pregnancy cramps, what does morning sickness feel like, bloated-ness in early pregnancy, complete exhaustion in pregnancy, blacking out when standing up in early pregnancy," etc etc.

I couldn't walk around without feeling like i was out of energy.

My cramps were getting worse. I just felt like something was wrong. Then, i stood up to use the restroom before going to my parents' for dinner, and I felt it. Felt like a gush. I checked my under ware, and there is was: bright red blood. It came out into the toilet and was all over the toilet paper (tmi, but whatevs). I was devastated, but also understood this was a possibility. I yelled for Matt, and said, "Matt I'm having a miscarriage, we have to go to the hospital (i'm O- and have to get a rogam shot so my body won't build up antibodies for future babies). I had never experienced that gush of bleeding before. It was like a cut, not a period type blood. Matt said, "it's really sad but it will be okay." He paged my nurse, I fumbled around looking for any pad other than a panty liner ---that was unsuccessful so I put 3 together. I changed into non-pajamas frantically. Matt turned the stove off, and we were out the door after telling Larry to be good .

We decided to drive to Methodist Germantown; that's where both my Dr's operate and where i had my ectopic surgery. That was the other reason for going tot he ER...my ectopic was very similar at first. Weird blood, not period blood, and cramping. The whole way there I probably checked my pad 6 times. It had really slowed up.

We were at the ER for SIX hours. When we got there, we finally went back for an ultrasound an hour and a half after arriving. So nerve-racking, but we knew the empty possibility and were as ready as we could be. Well. The ultrasound showed our little embryo with beating heart still hanging out! The sonographer said everything looked fine that the dr would have to review and figure out what the bleeding was.

The heart rate was 111 and it was now 5 mm. That's great! Thursday it was 95 bpm and 2.1 mm. So it was growing great!

By now my parents were there thinking more for emotional support. They're so awesome. I felt bad because this visit was forever. Finally close to midnight they left after we convinced them we were okay. Finally they took me back and did blood work, and by 1am the doctor came to my room. She said all looked good. My HCG was 36,0000. I was measuring 6 weeks and 1 day, and the baby looked fine. She had no idea what the blood was. She paged Dr. Ke to decide whether or not to do the rogam shot, and he said to wait and just come into his office tomorrow.

By now it's 2am, and i'm discharged. We were starving. We went to Steak n Shake and got cheese burgers and I got cheese fries. I was soooo hungry.

We got home about 3am, and finally around 4am, after that crazy whirlwind I was able to get to sleep.

MONDAY
I woke up so sleepy. My bleeding had stopped, but I still had cramps. My Dr's nurse called and said to come in at 12:30. I stayed home from work of course. I was exhausted and the ER doc said I needed to rest until they figured out what was going on.

We went in for the ultrasound and there was our little fighting embryo! Heart rate was now 119 bpm, and it was measuring 5.7mm. So awesome! That's PERFECT growth if not above average. The sonographer was so nice and explained everything to us. She said she thought she saw a small bleed, known as "subchorionic hematoma." It's basically a blood clot between the placenta and uterine wall, and they really don't know what causes it. But that caused my bleeding.

Later, Dr. Ke confirmed that's what he thought it was, and he said the pregnancy looked good aside from my cramping. He wasn't too concerned with the hematoma because the embryo was doing so well, and the bleed was small. His hopes are that it goes away over time. But, I am having pretty rough cramping, and still tonight even. I don't like that, but am going to take it a day at a time.

We dodged a major bullet. God heard our prayers, but mainly our family and closest friends' prayers because i have to be honest I was so in the moment I didn't pray as i should, but I felt prayers. It's a miracle. It really is. You see red blood and have cramping, it's usually bad. Here we are again, in the 1%. A subchorionic hematoma is in 1% of pregnancies...just like an ectopic. What's interesting is both the ectopic and now the SCH are factors outside of the embryo. The ectopic embryo was a fighter; MTX shots wouldn't do anything to it and it ruptured my tube because of its continued growth. I hope and pray that this one is a fighter, too, and won't let that stupid hematoma get in its way of staying attached to the uterine wall. It looks like we have a healthy baby. Now we have to keep praying for a healthy pregnancy and the dissolving of this hematoma.

One. Day. At. A. Time.

We go back next Monday. This is hard, so hard. And I don't know why it is happening, but I know it could be worse. We have our baby growing inside me, and I can't think of much better than that right now.

I am on bed rest tomorrow as well. Dr wants my cramping to subside. I'm secretly hoping the cramps today are a result of my multiple vaginal ultrasounds. Surely that causes bruising and cramping. But, regardless, I am hopeful that they are not impending doom, and that all is well.

Whew! Interesting 24 hours for sure.

WAITING


EW


Finally a room


Trying to stay warm. My stats were all wacked out. Blood pressure 147/48 (what??), temperature was 99.7, and heart rate 88. I was a mess. I also am coming down with a cold or something - sore throat and cough; i think that's the fever cause, but who knows.


At least they and a TV and we watched Workaholics


They don't really know what causes this, but think it happens with implantation. The top picture is from Thursday, the bottom is from today, 3 days later. The hematoma isn't in the Thursday one, but you can see it from today. So the big black blob is the placenta. Looking in the bottom picture from today, you can see the placenta and at the bottom of that, that's the embryo! Looks like a white slender blob at the bottom of the big black blog. Well at the top of the big black blob there's the dark looking line above it which is the hematoma bleed. it needs to get out of the way!


So, yes. The last 24 hours felt like a storm, but I see the sun ahead. It always is. And everything will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment