It goes without saying what I love most is God, family, and friends (these are the best and most awesome things in life ever)…but here are some things that just really make me happy; call them God’s little gifts or expressions that speak to my heart, whatever.
1. Friendship bracelets. I’ve loved these since I was a child. Used to make them and enjoyed trying to pick just the right colors for people. I’d make them based on my moods. I’d have pastel ones, bold ones, dark colored ones, etc. They all had themes. This may be one of the things I miss most about moving into a ‘career’ setting. They just don’t take you very seriously when you have 15 friendship bracelets going up your arm. But, let me tell you this: I did wear 4 at one time, yes 4. One I made myself, 2 leather ones, and a silly band. And, I’m still with a job, so I think pretty soon I’ll go for 5.
2. Gardening. This is therapeutic. I’ve been having what I classify as panic attacks lately, and I blame year #2 with no garden. Since we’ve been in house limbo, I haven’t had one since I can’t maintain one out in Somerville, and I didn’t want to risk my garden getting sold with the house. The last year I had one we had tomatoes, squash, cucumber, garlic, basil, rosemary, onions, zucchini, and even a blackberry bush that I later realized took like 2 years to harvest. Wellll, that one got mowed over after the other plants died.
3. Quotes. I love meaningful little quotes that give me a rush of, “yeah! THAT’S how I feel right now.” Quotes motivate me, inspire me, bring me up, down, and give me a strange and stable faith in humanity. For some reason a good quote makes me feel more part of the world. Like in that moment we all get each other.
4. Literature/music/natural art. Yeah, this is a 3 in one. I just couldn’t limit to 5. Along the lines of quotes, literature moves me. Oh wow. Not sure what I’d do without music, reading, and writing. They are my outlets to God. I see God in a picture (either by an artist or by God himself…as in a sunset or mountain view), hear him in my new favorite Mumford song or favorite book/poetry, and speak to him in writing. I need these things. I get all happy when walking into a bookstore, spending time in nature, or walking into let’s say Best Buy’s little music room which is full of all cool stuff like keyboards, guitars, banjos, drumsets, etc. To best express my obsession with music, I’ve already requested a drum set for my ‘pushing present.’ No, I’m not pregnant, but I feel that will be a time when I can demand something crazy like a drumset and actually get it. Fingers crossed.
5. An uncontrollable laughing fit. This is awesome. I tend to over laugh at things or laugh to the point of others probably starting to wonder if they missed something, but I can’t help it. Sometimes when I get going, I’m out of control. I’ve noticed it doesn’t even have to be that funny…just something that I’ll mentally take to the absurd and then I’m off. I will say, laughing fits are most enjoyed when accompanied by another person who is doing the same. When 2 or more people are laughing their heads off; that’s priceless.
I could keep going, but that’s all for now. There are other things like shampoo (I collect it to a fault—not for good hair, but stemming more from a hoarding disorder), painting, taking pictures, traveling, etc, but these 5 things are worth mentioning as some favorites in life.
Later taters.
No comments:
Post a Comment