It's so funny because when I was in statistics class in college all I could think is, "i'll NEVER use this again." Well, not until I found out that running regressions actually happens in the workplace. yeah. crazy. I don't really work with statistics as much as I did when I was a statistical analyst (hmmm, duh), but I learned a lot, then. Also, when I was young I used to always pretend I was running a business, usually a clothing store, and I'd do monopoly money transactions and keep a ledger showing all my sales for the day. It's fun to see the 'business world' first hand, now, from the store level to the top. There's so much that goes into it. At times, I would struggle to find 'meaning' in my work, but it's the people at the end of the day. Not only the people I work with directly, but the people in our stores, and the people who take time to write thank you notes to the corporate office to praise an AutoZoner for helping them install a battery in the pouring rain, or who diagnosed a problem with their car and even went to the length of drawing out a map to show the person how to get to where they were going since they were lost when the car broke down. To me that's a big part of the meaning in my work, and I'm happy to be part of such an organization that is threaded with this type of 'family' feeling and selfless support. ....so, today I just wanted to say thanks to the ole job. I never thought an autoparts retailer would add so much to my life, but while far from my predictions prior to entering the 'real world', it has.
First day.....c'mon, I had just woken up. Thanks, Nina.
Not sure on the face. I was happy, I promise.


Great post! I feel the same way about my "hardware distributor". If you would have told me 10 years ago I would love working for a hardware company I would have laughed in your face and I'm sure you were the same way!
ReplyDeleteAwwww... We so appreciate you in the field too! Now planagraming... That's a whole other story! =)
ReplyDelete